Wednesday 18 December 2013


 Music magazines in a shop



I went into my local shop and had a look at what music magazines they had and how they were positioned. They had Rock  magazines positioned together - Kerrang, NME and Rock. And  there were also pop magazines e.g- 'Mizz' together. This showed that pop and rock were the most listened genres in the area as there werent any other genre of magazines in the shop. I am going to analyse each magazine that I saw in the shop individually and suggest the ideas that I got from them for my own magazine.




The 'Classic Rock' magazine stood out from the other magazines as the name is big and bold going across the top of the page. Also the magazine includes a free calendar and a 'best of the year CD' which will help get a larger audience to buy this magazine as it will include their favourite songs. The headline 'Best of 2013' also stands out as it is in yellow and is clear against the dark background. In my own magazine, I will include a big headline and include a main image of the artist.







The 'Kerrang' magazine is a rock magazine. This magazine I had done some research on as I knew this magazine is targeted at 16-24 year olds. Also I knew that the genre of the magazine is rock as I know that the colours usually associated with this magazine are red, yellow and white. The main thing that noticed my eye when I saw this magazine on the shelve was the images of the band pulling faces with their santa hats on. Also the headline 'The Christmas issue' helps makes more sales as its a busy time of the year and knowing its a christmas issue will include festive things and new singles released. 




The 'NME' magazine is also another music magazine I was familiar with as I have researched this magazine as it's a popular rock magazine. The 'NME' logo stands out from the rest of the writing as its a popular magazine. The writing is in christmas colours which makes the magazine look festive and fun.  I like the use of drawing a hat on top of the artists head to make it look more creative and funky rather than having a real hat on his head. I may decide to do this in my own magazine. 





Another music magazine that was shown on the shelve was a pop magazine 'Mizz'. This magazine I had never seen before, but it caught my eye straight away with the bright pink bubble with 'POP!' written in big bold writing in the corner of the magazine. The magazine also has the band One Direction on the front cover which will attract to the teenagers as they are the UK's favourite boy band. The Wanted are also shown in a smaller image on the front cover, as young girls think they are 'hot'. I like the idea of using smaller images of celebrities on the front cover to give an insight of the magazine. Also as I am thinking of doing 'POP' as my genre, the use of a funky font like the one on this magazine is a good idea as I want my magazine to stand out from other POP magazines that are available at the moment.



No comments:

Post a Comment